Some may be surprised that many Christians are no longer attending church in a church building. As for me, here are the reasons why I don’t attend the religious services in my area. Before going forward, let me say my husband and I have been to many local churches but certainly not all in our immediate area. I’m sure there are some out there but sadly we have not found them. I have no doubt there are many who love the Lord. While there are some churches within driving distance, due to my work schedule they are just too far and we cannot attend. However, first and foremost, we strive to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and feel like we are exactly where He wants us at this time in our lives.
So here we go…the list of reasons why we don’t attend some of our local churches:
- Many preach and teach humanistic psychology to overcome sin. Psychology is the study of the mind and the mind is at enmity with God. Jesus Christ is still the Way, the Truth and the Life…even after our Salvation. “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.” Romans 8:7
- We don’t want to “soak”. Soaking prayer is a mystical experience that replaces sound biblical teaching with emotion driven responses. The Word of God says “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” Philippians 4:6
- Gold dust and angel feathers are not biblical.
- They don’t believe in Baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues (Acts 2:4, Acts 10:45-46, Acts 19:1-7).
- They believe you must be baptized in water to be saved.
- They believe you must join their church to be saved.
- They believe you must be baptized in the Holy Spirit to be saved.
- Sunday school is about the latest church fad coming down the pike (Harbingers, Shemitahs, Blood Moons, Pythons, Purpose Driven Life, 21 Days of fasting,etc.) instead of the Word of God. “And I (Jesus), if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto Me.” John 12:32. Instead of lifting up Jesus to the congregation/class, the fad is lifted up among men.
- They observe the Jewish feasts and festivals which were symbolic of Jesus Christ. As a New Testament Believer, I don’t have to partake in the religious symbolism…I have Jesus Christ. Furthermore, where are the partakers doing their sacrifices? “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continues not in all things which are written in the Book of the Law to do them.” Galatians 3:10.
- Mysticism, extra biblical revelations and emotional experiences are decreed and declared from the pulpit…not the Word of God.
- My husband and I both grew up in the 80’s. We were both far from God and we recognize the bar atmosphere in many modern churches. From the entertainment (not worship) to the coffee bars and overall hip hop attitude in the “House of God”. This is not fear of the Lord. This is not sacred. This is not holy. This is the world infiltrating the church in order to increase numbers in the pews and is not of God.
Obviously these are just some of the reasons we don’t attend church. I don’t doubt their love for God and I’m not saying all are alike. Sadly though this is what we have encountered in our little corner of the world. When I first began hearing of these things, I thought is that really happening in the world? It must be in the big cities. We all see the “big time” televangelist that everyone else loves and trusts and we fall in beside them in order to blend in with the rest. It starts to get fun. Yes, the music is great. I can still be “me” and do this “God thing”.
Then there comes a time; a point of decision if you will, that the Lord will prick your heart and show you “this is not of Me”. Whatever “it” is, it doesn’t line up with Scripture. At that point we can test the spirits according the the Word of God whether they are of God (1 John 4:1) or we can ignore the conviction of the Holy Spirit and follow that which is feeding our flesh.
Let me tell you friend, if the Lord is pricking your heart to test the spirits…test them. “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15 The Holy Spirit is faithful to guide us into all Truths when we look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith.
“And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25
Every Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night my husband and I gather together in front of the television and worship together with untold thousands of Brothers and Sisters in Christ all over the world at Family Worship Center in Baton Rouge, LA. where they teach, preach, declare and decree Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Every morning we have our Bible Study via The Message of the Cross. You can join us here: SonLife Broadcasting Network . Let us not forget, the first church started in the homes of like minded Believers. Furthermore, the first church was actually Pentecostal (sorry my Catholic friends).
“And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from Heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Acts 2:1-4
If you don’t believe Pentecost is still working in the church today, that is between you and God…not you and me. As for me and my house, it is too late to tell us any different.
-Donna Clark Warren