“3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that comes preaches another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if you receive another spirit, which you have not received, or another gospel, which you have not accepted, you might well bear with him.” 2 Corinthians 11:4
If the Jesus being proclaimed from the pulpit is any of the following, you have another Jesus:
- born again in hell;
- fought the devil for 3 days in the burning side of hell;
- brought victory to mankind from the pits of hell;
- died spiritually, meaning he died lost,
- became a sinner;
- was a martyr;
- the Atonement was not in the Blood of Jesus;
- any person could do the same thing as Jesus if they just knew the Word.
These are just a few of the other Jesus’ being proclaimed from the pulpit with Kenneth Copeland leading the pack. Please understand, if one does not have the Atonement correct, they have another Jesus and another gospel and they are cursed (Galatians 1:6-8).
The facts about the Atonement are as follows:
- The Incarnation was for mankind’s Redemption. In other words, Jesus came to die on Calvary’s Cross to pay the penalty of sin for whosoever will believe. Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world, a Sacrifice…not a martyr.
- Jesus Christ was not born again in hell. To be born again, He would have to have been lost. Jesus did not become a sinner on the Cross, He was the Sin Sacrifice…again, Jesus was the Lamb of God.
- The Lord did not die spiritually. To die spiritually means to be spiritually dead to God; to be lost. Please read previous statement. In no way did Jesus Christ die lost, meaning He became a sinner on the Cross. If such were so, He could not have been the spotless Lamb of God. His Sacrifice would not have been accepted because He would have been defiled by sin. God forbid no!
- The Blood of Jesus atoned for all sin; past, present and future. It was finished when He said it was finished…on Calvary’s Cross. The blood of bulls and goats could not pay the penalty of sin for mankind; it restored fellowship with God but did not pay the penalty.
It took God becoming flesh to go to Calvary’s Cross to pay a debt we could not pay. The collision between sin and righteousness was met at Calvary’s Cross with Jesus Christ paying the penalty and whosoever will believe upon Him bearing the fruit of His atoning work by way of our Salvation. We are not little gods; neither do we have the power to speak things into existence. God will forever be the Creator and we the creation. For those who accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, there is a humility and dependency found in the Cross of Christ. We are humbled by His power to Save and dependent on His power to keep. We are not perfect but neither do we fear our imperfections…we look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith to cleanse us from our imperfections.
One day soon we will have glorified bodies with our sin nature gone forever. No more death, no more sickness, no growing old and decay of our mortal bodies; we will put on incorruption soon and very soon. That is our Salvation. Until our Salvation comes, we continue denying our self will and self efforts to gain victory, pick up our cross and follow Jesus. We will walk precept upon precept, line upon line in the dominion over our sin nature through faith in the atoning work of Jesus Christ. We understand the Atonement. We know in Whom we have believed and what He afforded us on Calvary’s Cross. The Atonement was not for His victory it was for ours and we simply believe Him. No matter the circumstances, we know that He works all things for good to them that love Him and are called according to HIS purpose…not our own (Romans 8:28).
If we get the Atonement wrong, Jesus Christ and Him crucified, we have another Jesus and another gospel. We will continually be tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine. There will forever be another philosophy coming down the pike but there is but one Cornerstone. He is not a “doctrine”, He is the Cornerstone of all doctrine.
“6 Wherefore also it is contained in the Scripture, Behold, I lay in Zion a chief Corner Stone, elect, precious: and he that believes on Him shall not be confounded.
7 Unto you therefore which believe He is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the Stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the Head of the Corner,
8 And a Stone of stumbling, and a Rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the Word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvellous light;
10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.” 1 Peter 2:6-10
Beware of anyone teaching another Jesus; a Jesus that is not the Cornerstone. Try the spirits. Search the Scriptures daily…study to show thyself approved.
-Donna Clark Warren